Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Salt and Pepper

That is my accomplishment for the week!
I know I know... you're thinking... accomplishment? Salt and Pepper? WHAT GIVES!

This year our relief society (church women's group) has challenged us to be prepared through food storage and self reliance. At our last enrichment night they passed out these great booklets that give you a week by week suggestion on things to purchase or set aside in preperation.

Now I've always wanted to build up a years supply of food and water and have all my 72-hour emergency kits ready to go if I needed to run out the door with my family in tow. But sadly... I've yet to accomplish that.. but there's hope! I have been inspired by this wonderful weekly breakdown. I no longer feel overwhelmed at the thoughts, "what do I buy?" "How much will I need?" "Should I really have all that wheat that I myself can't even eat?!"

I am now spurred on by thoughts like, "I can spend $5 a week and gradually add things!" "I am comfortable with what I am buying and how I am storing it" "It may not be a years worth now but in a year it will be alot!"

So that is my accomplishment this week! For March week 3 we were challenged to buy spices. I bought salt and pepper with my $5 for our food storage. It may sound minuscule compared to the big picture... but I now have something that I can spice up my potato pearls and macaroni with. :)

If you would like to join me on this food storage and self reliance adventure please check back frequently! I plan to list every weeks suggested item and let you know what I've done with that suggestion. The key here is to make a plan and stick to it! I chatted with my husband and we agreed that for now $5 a week/$20 a month was something we could do without flinching. Now that amount may grow but it will be discussed and thought about before it changes.

Next weeks assignment.... MIXES! Spend $5 on mixes that you can put aside and store. IE: cake, pancake, bisquick, muffins, or make your own!

Yay for accomplishments!! Make sure to let me know if you want to join me on this adventure!! We're all in this together! ;)

3 comments:

Tana said...

Also invest in Spearmint gum. It helps keep things fresh.

Trina said...

What a great idea! Thanks for posting your progress. And also, congrats on your Molly blog!!

Savannah said...

I want to do that! I need a copy of the cool book you got!!